Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Skymall Sickness

I have this sickness. It's an illness passed on genetically from my mom.

I am obsessed with magazines.

I subscribe to way too many. I have family and friends who give me old magazines and I read them. I pack up and move the ones I love from house to house when I change addresses. I can't throw the ones I love away until they are at least 5 years old and everything is outdated. (And even then I somewhat panic thinking that that style may become popular again and that I just tossed good info.)

I love decorating ones, ones about traveling, celebrity ones, ones that have great hairstyles, and fashion ones. (Note that nothing intellectual is listed.)

But my ALL TIME favorite magazines are the ones such as SkyMall, that have a plethora of shit you never see in the store and possibly cannot live without.

I literally spend hours looking thru them and always find something I never had seen before when I thumb thru it the 78th time.

I mean who can live without:

The 120" inflatable outdoor big screen for $249.00
The hearing-aid-disguised-as-a-cell-phone-ear-piece for only $39.99
The clinically-proven-to-promote-hair-growth laser comb for $544.99
and
The startingly unique garden Yeti that looks like Sasquatch for only $98.95?

And the coolest thing about ordering from this magazine (Yes, I ordered the nice mahogany man's jewelry box that really is a box with a power strip for all his cell phones and ear pieces with a drawer for the jewelry he doesn't wear for 99.99 plus S&H) is that you get on the mailing list of all these other cool magazines that have OTHER useless junk that you can't live without and for a small fortune can have for your very own.

I also am the one in the waiting room of your MD, Chiropractor, and Hair Salon that steals, I mean borrows, the good magazines.

That is why, HMHH, there is only Highlights and Trout and Stream left.

(Unless the Hidden Picture section is really good, then that one is gone, too!)

19 comments:

Tenakim said...

I'm so ashamed, but feel better that you do it too. When my kids were young enough to constitute a diaper bag it was too easy at the pediatrician's office. You know how many good magazines you can fit into a diaper bag???

BTW, hate me all you like, yes, I have big saggy boobs!

Unknown said...

I know a good (as Ricky Ricardo would say) phys-e-kiatrist!

Hugs!

Unknown said...

There are 12 step groups for this, you know. But only you can decide when you are ready!

Debz said...

and the first step is admitting you have a problem, which you do and you did - find a program.

BTW, I know someone who has the Yeti, she dresses him up for various holidays - no joke.

Feliz said...

Question:

Where do you keep them all. Sometimes I want to keep magazines, but they take up so much space and I don't know how to make them look organized. Not that I am organized. At all. But it would be nice if I were.

Sue Wilkey said...

When my salon charges me $160 for a cut & color, I consider their magazines "party favors".

jill jill bo bill said...

I keep them in baskets in the bathrooms (to pass the time) and in a piece of copper in the living room.

jill jill bo bill said...

HMHH Sue- Amen and Amen

Scary Mommy said...

I too, am a magazine whore.
But, I LOVE SkyMall. I spend the entire flight playing a game where I have to pick one thing on every page to get. If I can't find a single thing, I get 2 things on the next page. But I only allow myself to credit one page ahead. I don't know why I enforce that rule, but I do. I've even taught the kids the game-- it's quite a time waster.

And I discovered the Chillow that way. It's a gel insert that keeps your pillows cool, and we love it.

jill jill bo bill said...

SM- I knew we were destined to be lifelong friends.......

Anonymous said...

Thank God, a fellow magazine addict. One time I was in a Barnes and Noble in VT, left my In Style outside the ladies room. When I came out, two "intelligent" college girls were looking at it and calling it "mindless reading". I said, "I'll take my mindless reading, thank you."

Brenda said...

I don't actually borrow the waiting room magazines, but I am definitely the one who rips out the good pages!

Insane Mama said...

I was so going to get the inflatable TV screen until I noticed that you have to buy the projector separately. It would fun for block parties etc.

cIII said...

Must. Have. Garden. Yeti. Must go Google.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

I love magazines, and books, and coupon fliers, and pretty much anything shiny and printed... and yet I never go back and read ANYTHING again. So then I just get all frustrated one day and throw it all out. And then I'm sad, because I paid a lot of money on that stuff!

... so now I'm trying to keep everything in Google Reader :-)

jill jill bo bill said...

M.Green-They were just jealous because they have to study!
Brenda- You are the one I cuss because when I get home with my "new mags" its always what I ripped the mag off for in the first place!
IM- And they don't even sell the projectors! Bastards!
ciii-www.skymall.com/FDAG8 p.25.
imommy- You and your techiness-am so jealous...but what do you do when you poop?

Tenakim said...

I have an award for you at my place!

TentCamper said...

no offense...but has anyone ever told you that you are ...a bit sick?
WOW!
The Week is the only magazine that I will read...and I don't subscribe to it.
be well my child!

careysue said...

I am so glad you brought this up, therefore we can all get help together!

The first step is admitting we have a problem...